Referral Procedures

If a student continues to struggle with making the expected gains, even after a variety of instructional techniques have been utilized, referral to the Committee on Special Education may be warranted to determine if he/she qualifies as a Student with a Disability. These referrals can only be made by a parent/guardian, the school psychologist, or Director of Special Education. However, classroom teachers, physicians, officers of the court, and other can recommend referral to one of the listed parties for consideration.

If a student is determined to have a disability that adversely affects his/her ability to access the general education curriculum, he/she is eligible for a continuum of services that meet individuals’ needs in the Least Restrictive Environment. These include related services such as speech, occupational therapy, physical therapy, or counseling, Assistive Technology, resource room, Consultant Teacher services, Teacher of the Visually Impaired, and Special Class. Decisions about the appropriateness of these services are made by the Committee on Special Education, which includes the parent/guardian(s) of the student.

If the student has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity, he/she may be eligible for accommodations based on the duration and severity of the condition and its potential impact. In this case, a 504 Accommodation Plan would be developed to address the student’s needs.

If a parent has questions about a child’s progress, the teacher(s) should be consulted first. Thereafter, if concerns remain, questions can be directed to the respective principal, or the CSE office at 237-0800 ext. 3315.